Nearly 1 in every 4 motor vehicle accidents that occur in the U.S. each year are caused by drivers using their cellphones, and many of these collisions involve texting while driving, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Clearly, texting while driving is a big problem for American motorists despite the fact that it is illegal in many states (including in Colorado). When drivers choose to text while driving, intentionally violate traffic laws and, as a result, compromise the safety of other motorists on the road (by putting them at an increased risk of getting into traffic accidents):
- The negligent drivers can be held liable in car accident lawsuits.
- Accident victims will likely be entitled to compensation for their medical bills, vehicle repair bills, lost wages and other losses caused by the texting while driving accident.
- D. Chadwick Calvert will be there to help victims’ financially recover from these accidents by defending their legal rights to compensation.
Texting While Driving Accident Statistics
The following texting while driving statistics has been put together by the NHTSA, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Safety Council and other reputable institutions. These statistics highlight how dangerous and pervasive texting while driving is in the U.S.:
- Texting while driving has been estimated to cause approximately 1.3 million preventable motor vehicle accidents in the U.S. each year.
- Texting while driving increases the risk of getting into a car accident by about 23 times and has been likened to being as risky as driving while blind for at least 5 seconds.
- At any given time, an estimated 800,000 motorists on U.S. roadways are texting while driving.
- Motorists who are texting while driving will generally have a slower reaction to stepping on the brakes, with reaction times being delayed by up to 18 percent.
- Eleven teenagers die every day in texting while driving accidents.
- Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than drunk driving, and the level of impairment it causes has been likened to driving after having consumed four alcoholic beverages.
Denver Texting While Driving Accident Attorney D. Chadwick Calvert
Since 1987, the Denver car accident attorney at D. Chadwick Calvert LLC has been dedicated to helping accident victims get them the compensation they deserve. Attorney D. Chadwick Calvert’s proven track record of success comes from his knowledge of the law, his litigating and negotiating skills and his unwavering commitment to his clients. He knows what it takes to take care of his clients, and he is effective at consistently helping them obtain the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
While D. Chadwick Calvert is a skilled trial lawyer, his commitment to his clients does not end in the courtroom. He is also a highly experienced negotiator who can help accident victims stand up to insurers, defense lawyers and others during settlement talks, and he will not rest until our clients are able to obtain the best possible resolutions to their cases.
Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by texting while driving, Denver Distracted Driving Accident Attorney D. Chadwick Calvert encourages you to get a professional assessment of your case by setting up a free initial consult. You can contact our firm by calling (720) 457-9074 or by emailing us. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.